This Amaranth and Polenta recipe is loaded with complete proteins, and is a good source of calcium and can lower cholesterol. It is great for breakfast, in the evening, or when you just really need a great meal.
About this recipe:
This Amaranth and Polenta Porridge recipe is an excellent breakfast choice, but can also be used as an late evening option. Brought to us by the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, where we learn that nutrition is both on and off the plate. This is a fantastic “secondary” food or “on the plate” nutrition item.
The amaranth in this recipe is a ‘super” grain as it is a gluten free whole grain that packs a tremendous amount of protein. It contains 9 grams of protein per ounce as compared to 7 grams in the same amount of quinoa. This makes it an excellent choice for breakfast. Its creamy and delicious and also loaded with antioxidants and healthy fats located in the pine nuts and cranberries.
Amaranth is considered one of the healthiest grains around. Among the fact that it is gluten free, and contains more protein than most other grains, it also:
- Helps with hair loss and graying
- Lowers cholesterol and risk of cardiovascular disease
- Provides the amino acid lysine
- High in Calcium
- Loaded with antioxidants and minerals
- Works as an appetite suppressant
- Improves eyesight
- Highly digestible
With all these health benefits packed into one grain, finding different ways to add amaranth into your morning diet is a really great and tasty choice to ad complete protein, and help keep you full throughout the day.
Antioxidant, Anti inflammatory, Anti Cancer, Anti Aging, Healthy Fats, Low Carb, Nutrient Dense "Superfood", Supports Healthy Immune System, Supports Gut Health, Supports Brain Function, Supports Detoxification
Prep Level: Food Enthusiast
Prep Time: 45
Special Diet Friendly:
- 3 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup sea salt
- 1/2 Cup Polenta
- 1/2 Cup Amaranth
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 Cup pine nuts
- 1-2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1/4 Cup Milk (or non dairy milk like hemp, almond, cashew, or soy)
- Put the water into a pot with the salt.
- Bring saltwater to a boil.
- Add the Polenta and amaranth.
- Reduce heat and simmer, cover for about 30 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add in cranberries and stir.
- When porridge is soft and creamy, remove from heat.
- Add pine nuts, honey, and milk and enjoy!